Allah Almighty says in Holy Qur’an:
يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا قُوا أَنفُسَكُمْ وَأَهْلِيكُمْ نَارًا وَقُودُهَا النَّاسُ وَالْحِجَارَةُ عَلَيْهَا مَلَائِكَةٌ غِلَاظٌ شِدَادٌ لاَّ يَعْصُونَ اللَّهَ مَا أَمَرَهُمْ وَيَفْعَلُونَ مَا يُؤْمَرُونَ
Translation: O believers! Safeguard yourselves and your families against a Fire whose fuel is men and stones. Appointed over it are strong and stern angels who do not disobey Allah in what He commands them. And they accomplish what they are ordered.
(at-Tahrīm, 66 : 6)
This verse clearly describes the duty of parents to teach their off-springs about right and wrong. We all know that being a Muslim, we should raise our kids according to the Islamic values. We can do it by adopting some simple habits in our life. No need to advise your children, just do it and your kids will follow you. In this article, let’s discuss some simple practices that we can do to teach our kids about Islamic values.
- Offer prayer five times a day and ask your kid to join you. Don’t force and don’t forbid him to play with you while offering prayer if he is doing so.
- Recite Holy Qur’an loudly or listen Tilawat on daily basis to keep your kid familiar with Holy Qur’an.
- Say “Assalam-o-Alaikum” to your child with a sweet smile when he gets up in the morning.
- Recite “Kalima Tayyaba” and “Dua for sleeping” loudly while going to bed at night.
- Telling lie is a very bad habit. Avoid it specially in front of your kid. Never tell a lie to your kid otherwise he will automatically learn telling a lie.
- Breaking Promises is also bad habit. So, never promise to your kid that you can’t fulfill. If you have said that you’ll give him candy or something else, now give him and never break your promise.
- Follow the Islamic teachings while eating and drinking.
- Don’t shout with your elders and spouse in front of your kid.
- Never compare your child with other kids so that he can stay away from hate and jealousy.
- Never ask your child to listen others’ private conversation and then tell you about it.
- Behave with him nicely so he learns to behave nicely.
Kids do the same things that they see and observe. So, do in front of them what you want them to learn. It is more effective than advices.